Thursday, June 26, 2008

Steam Bath

Less than a week past the summer solstice, I'm ready for September. Hot, humid weather has settled into Missouri, with highs near 90 and dew points in the seventies. Though I appreciate seasonal change, such conditions sap my energy and I long for the next wave of cool, Canadian air.

Of course, there's still plenty to see and explore on these muggy, summer days. The mimosas and elderberries are in bloom, insects are peaking in number and variety and frequent thunderstorms keep the weather interesting (though their rains boost the humidity). While I admire the swifts and swallows that thrive in this Midwestern steam bath, I'll limit my outdoor jaunts to the early morning and evening hours. Man may have evolved in such a climate but I feel out of place.

A cold front is due by the weekend and the humidity should drop significantly. Until then, I'll get some reading done and appreciate my indoor job.