Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sixty Earth-Years

As of today, I have spent sixty years on this magnificent planet. While I don't feel any different than I did at forty, each decade makes us more aware of our own mortality.

Throughout the natural world, age is a relative measure of life. Many insects live but a few days and at least 120 generations of cottontail rabbits have come and gone since the day of my birth. On the other hand, a bristlecone pine that germinated in 1950 is still but a toddler and a sixty year old saguaro has just recently begun to branch.

As a physician, I have seen many children and young adults die over the years and am well award of the fickle nature of human life. At sixty, I cannot ignore the fact that I have lived well over half my years but realize that I could carry on for another forty years or die within forty days. There is no good reason to dwell on one's age; it's best to just celebrate the many joys of living and take on new adventures.