Monday, April 4, 2016

A Disappointing Survey

On this mild, sunny morning along the Colorado Front Range, I decided to submit my first checklist report to eBird from South Platte Park, a refuge that I have birded hundreds of times over the years.  I chose my usual loop in the southern portion of the Park, which takes me along the river, past several lakes, across a wooded ridge and up to South Platte Reservoir.  Given the weather conditions, I had reason to expect a large number of birds and a wide variety of species.

Unfortunately, my expectations were not met.  Of the 23 species that I encountered, only American robins, red-winged blackbirds and buffleheads were abundant; I did observe my first tree swallows of the season (at this particular site) and certainly enjoyed the walk.  The only unusual observation (and the highlight of the morning) was the presence of three long-tailed ducks on the reservoir; in fact, long-tails have graced the Park for the past several winters.

Filing my report on the eBird website, I was a bit disappointed with my contribution.  On the other hand, all data is important, including that which reflects relatively low populations and limited avian diversity on a given date.  Hopefully, if nature is so inclined, my next report from South Platte Park will be more extensive.