Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Death by Goshawk

Just outside the living room window of our Littleton, Colorado, farmhouse is a cluster of juniper shrubs.  Dark-eyed juncos often feed beneath those shrubs during the colder months and are frequently joined by a few cottontails.

On this cold, foggy morning along the Front Range, I was watching the news when I heard a crash and a loud squeal outside that window.  Peering through the fog, I saw a large accipiter within the shrubs, stomping on an apparent victim; alas, it was a northern goshawk and one of the cottontails would be his breakfast.  The raptor moved the lifeless rabbit out onto the snow to enjoy his feast but returned to cover when I attempted to get a photo.

Northern goshawks are permanent residents of coniferous and mixed forests across Alaska and Canada and southward through the Western mountains and the Northeastern U.S.; their range expands during the winter months when a small number usually turn up along the Front Range urban corridor.  This morning's visitor was only the third I have ever seen on the farm; lucky for me but not so lucky for the cottontail!