Saturday, April 20, 2019

A Finch Invasion

Returning to our Littleton farm late this afternoon, I stepped from my pickup and was struck by the amount of chirping that arose from the canopy of one of our large Siberian elms; the source of the noise was a large flock of American goldfinches (18 by my count).  Of course, I went in to grab my binoculars for a closer look and returned to find that the flock had scattered to a grove of piƱon pines.

Taking a seat, I watched the brightly colored finches move among the trees and was soon aware that they were joined by a half dozen lesser goldfinches, eight pine siskins and at least twelve house finches, not to mention the chickadees, bushtits and a lone red-breasted nuthatch that were drawn to the scene.  In addition, while I was focused on the finch invasion, I was pleased to hear the familiar buzzy whistle of a broad-tailed hummingbird as it looped about the farm, the first of the season.

No doubt, the flock of American goldfinches, permanent residents along the Front Range urban corridor, had picked up the pine siskins as they moved through the area; the latter birds will soon return to the foothills where they will nest and raise their young before winter weather drives them down to lower elevations.  The house finches and lesser goldfinches, permanent residents on the farm, merely joined in the feeding frenzy when the nomads arrived.  While none of these finches are rare or even uncommon, I cannot recall another time (on this farm or elsewhere) when I encountered so many in one place at the same time; it was a special treat to watch and listen to their activity.