Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Just behind the Front

Today, a potent cold front pushed across the Midwest, bringing blizzard conditions to the Northern Plains. Here in central Missouri, we enjoyed a mild, breezy morning as southwest winds pushed warm air and a few showers ahead of the front.  Knowing that frigid air would invade our region for the next couple of days, I opted for a visit to Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area before the weather deteriorated.

By the time I reached the refuge, the cold front had passed through and a chilly, northwest wind raked the floodplain.  While I encountered a good variety of waterfowl, other birds were few and far between, seemingly aware of the approaching Arctic blast.  An exception was a trio of bald eagles, cavorting in the  cold wind and dipping to send clouds of waterfowl into the air.


Though my visit was brief and the sightings were limited, the crisp, clear air augmented the beauty of the Missouri River Valley.  Besides, I was free to return to my heated home before the temperature plummets later in the day; the wild residents of Eagle Bluffs must adapt or move on to the south.