Monday, March 15, 2021

Missing out in Missouri

As the historic blizzard unfolded along the Colorado Front Range this past weekend, I found myself in central Missouri where low clouds and occasional rain were the weather highlights.  My exposure to the massive spring snowstorm was, like for most Americans, virtual.

I thoroughly enjoy a good snowstorm, even when it comes in spring.  In this case, I was beneath the feeder bands, where Gulf of Mexico moisture was flowing northward into the system, fueling thunderstorms on the High Plains and bringing heavy snow to the Front Range.  Potent low pressure, centered over southeastern Colorado swept the moisture toward the higher elevations of southern Wyoming, western Nebraska and the Front Range; Cheyenne received 3 feet of snow while most areas along Colorado's urban corridor were blanketed with 15-25 inches.

Now that I have expressed regret for missing out on the big storm, it is moving east and igniting tornadic thunderstorms.  One is headed in our direction and we may soon find ourselves in the basement.  Just desserts for my personal sentiments.