Sunday, June 18, 2023

Gestalt Birding

Though I am a veteran birder, I would characterize my hobby as Gestalt Birding, craving the whole experience rather than focusing on the minutia of the excursion.  For me, the natural environment is of more interest than the individual creatures that inhabit it.

Some avid birders focus solely on their quarry, responding to every movement or shadow that draws their attention.  Often equipped with powerful binoculars and telescopic cameras, they are dedicated to both their species list and its documentation.  While they surely enjoy the fresh air and scenery, it is secondary to their primary activity.

I (and I'm sure most naturalists) appreciate the natural milieu, including the weather, the topography, the waterways, the component ecosystems and the role and interaction of the many wild residents that reside in or visit the preserve.  Of course, I encounter a variety of birds in the process but equally enjoy the other animals and plants that I come across.  Nature is all about the interdependence of life forms and witnessing that phenomenon is what draws me into her realm.