Monday, November 19, 2018

Snows over the Floodplain

Ah the sight of snow geese in the morning!  Arriving at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area just before dawn, I encountered a large, restless flock in one of the fields; having spent the night at the refuge, they seemed anxious to continue their journey and, within ten minutes of my arrival, they exploded into the air, circling overhead before heading down the Missouri River Valley.

During my ninety minute visit, I was fortunate to see eight more flocks of snow geese, coming in from the north and east and passing above the floodplain refuge as they angled southward.  In all, I estimate that I saw at least 2400 of the hardy and vocal travelers on this cool, cloudy morning in central Missouri.

While I also encountered a good number of raptors (including two bald eagles) and a fair diversity of waterfowl (including ten canvasbacks), I had come to see snow geese and my effort was rewarded beyond expectations.  The stirring spectacle of migrant snow geese is always the highlight of my natural year.