Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Rising Tide at South Platte Park

Since I am only in town for a few days, I had to get down to South Platte Park, my favored local birding area.  On previous visits this fall, the waterfowl migration was well behind schedule but the tide seems to be rising.

The Canada goose population has clearly begun to increase along the Front Range and, down at South Platte Park, I encountered large flocks of northern shovelers, American wigeon and buffleheads.  Present but under-represented for the date were hooded mergansers, common goldeneyes, gadwalls, ring-necked ducks and American coot.  Despite the mild conditions, permanent avian residents were also rather sparse during my brief visit this morning.


But I remain hopeful that the winter duck count will continue to rise in the coming weeks and that my patience will be rewarded when I return in December.  And, if not, I'll keep stopping by for the exercise, fresh air and potential rare sightings.