Saturday, November 23, 2019

Vulture Parade in South Florida

Birders flock to South Florida to see species such as roseate spoonbills, anhingas, limpkins, magnificent frigatebirds and many others.  Yesterday, however, turkey vultures provided the avian highlight on Longboat Key.

It was late morning when I looked up to see a flock of vultures passing overhead, moving from SSW to NNE above this barrier island.  The flock continued to drift by for the next five to ten minutes; I suspect it was a mile long and numbered 280 birds by my count.  Turkey vultures are abundant in Florida during the winter months as those that summer across northern latitudes migrate to the Southeast, often traveling in massive flocks; there they join year-round residents ( other turkey and black vultures) to scour the landscape for carrion.

During the late fall and winter months, vultures congregate at favored roost sites and, considering the time of my sighting, I suspect that yesterday's flock was leaving one of those roosts, soon to disperse across South Florida.  In any case, it was the largest flock of vultures that I have yet to encounter.