Monday, July 6, 2020

Melanistic Coyotes

Visiting Perry Phillips Lake in southeast Columbia yesterday, my wife and I encountered what appeared to be a melanistic coyote.  Entirely black except for a gray muzzle and a white tip on his tail, he otherwise demonstrated the usual behavior of a coyote.

Unlike melanism in gray wolves, which is fairly common, this genetic variant is rare in coyotes and has been primarily observed in the Southeastern U.S.  Wildlife biologists suspect that it might have developed after cross-breeding with dogs.

A quick internet survey failed to turn up information on melanistic coyotes in Missouri and I intend to contact the Missouri Department of Conservation today for their input.  Unfortunately, I failed to snap a photo with my cell phone and he moved off into the trees before I had the presence of mind to do so.  Will addend this post after contacting the MDC.

Addendum:  The initial response from the Columbia Unit of the MDC was that no other reports have been received and that melanistic coyotes are rare in the State.