Sunday, April 23, 2023

Mixed Emotions at Eagle Bluffs

On this beautiful spring morning in Central Missouri, I visited Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area on the Missouri River floodplain.  Following my two hour visit, I came away with mixed emotions.

As always, it was good to see an interesting mix of birds, dominated by blue-winged teal, tree swallows and lesser yellowlegs.  An influx of summer residents was led by great egrets and I was fortunate to encounter a flock of white-faced ibis and an immature little blue heron (the first I have ever seen at this refuge).

On the other hand, most of the floodplain continues to dry out and groves of trees have been removed;  it appears that more space for crop fields is fueling the change.  Humans can't seem to let nature take care of herself, even in Conservation Areas as spectacular as Eagle Bluffs.