Sunday, March 10, 2024

Mulching Days

Granted a mild, sunny weekend and knowing that our next spring snowstorm is just a few days away, it seemed like a good time to spread some mulch.  Fortunately, we have a massive pile of mulch on our Littleton farm, having accumulated over 33 years of running dead limbs through a chipper; we produce more than we use each year.

Though we are letting the farm naturalize, we must protect young trees, shrubs and flower bed from damage when our "lawns" and pastures are mowed.  As any gardener knows, the mulch also helps to retain moisture in the soil, a significant benefit in this semi-arid climate.  Frankly, I enjoy mulching; it affords plenty of exercise but can be accomplished gradually.  I often stop to check out new spring growth or, of course, to watch the birdlife.

During my labors today, I was fortunate to be joined by a cheerful flock of bushtits.  Soon to pair off and raise their new offspring, they seemed to be enjoying the pleasant weather as much as I was.  I appreciated both their company and their kind excuse for a break.