Thursday, June 13, 2024

Birding in Place

During periods of hot summer weather, I recommend birding in the early morning or evening hours since bird activity tends to be suppressed by the heat (and because birding in the hot sun is not a healthy choice for humans).  This afternoon, however, I found myself in the vicinity of Perry Phillips Lake and decided to stop for a brief bird count from the shade of a large tree.

As it turns out, I ended up seeing 16 species within my half-hour, stationary visit.  Highlights included a green heron, a Mississippi kite and a large flock of cliff swallows (attending to their nestlings and clearly unfazed by the stifling heat).

Veteran birders know that stationary birding can be quite productive, especially in areas of mixed habitat.  Rather than driving through a refuge or negotiating a trail, one allows birds to come to their location.  Indeed, this passive approach often leads to closer views of avian residents and visitors since they are not spooked by our activity or our vehicle.  Today's "adventure," prompted by limited time and the oppressive weather, reminded me of that fact.