Tuesday, August 20, 2024

In a Foreign Land

My wife and I are spending a few days in Copenhagen, Denmark, before heading up to the Faroe Islands, in the North Atlantic.  The site of established communities since the 11th Century, Copenhagen sits along a strait between the North and Baltic Seas.

Not a world traveler by nature, Denmark is only the fifth foreign country that I have visited over the course of my long tenure on this planet (not counting my many excursions into Canada).  While that fact might place me in the minority among jet-setting Americans, it is safe to say that most humans never leave their home country and I am certainly fortunate to have this opportunity.

Known for its harbor, bridges, canals, historic architecture and cultural amenities, Copenhagen is a vibrant city; cyclists dominate the urban center.  Yet, away from the historic buildings and tourist zones, it is like most cities, replete with industrial areas and modern construction.  More importantly, one notes that, despite our cultural differences, we humans have the same goals and concerns, especially related to our personal and family needs.  Too often, that fact is obscured by the trappings of tourism.