Sunday, August 4, 2024

Subjective Sports

Whenever I tune into the Olympics, I prefer to watch objectively measured sporting events, those in which outcomes are measured by the parameters of time, distance, weight, scored points, accuracy, etc.

Subjective sports, such as gymnastics and diving, rely on the assessment of judges.  While I'm sure that most try to be accurate and fair, they are humans, subject to the influence of expectation, anticipation and, dare I suggest, bias.  Though I certainly admire the athletic skills of the competitors, I find that the scoring system is painfully fickle.

No doubt, once again, my naturalist philosophy plays into my sports watching preference.  After all, natural predators and their prey species survive based on their physical prowess (speed, strength, agility), not on specific performance criteria.  Nature is neither judgmental nor subjective.