Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Morning Solitude

On this mild Christmas morning along the Colorado Front Range, I decided to take a walk at South Platte Park.  Along my two mile circuit I encountered only a few humans and they offered but a brief greeting.

Indeed, the wildlife was respectfully quiet as well; the only sounds that broke the silence were the crunch of snow and gravel beneath by boots and the distant, soft roar from highway traffic.  It was a peaceful stroll through bright sunshine and cool, fresh air.

I suppose I could have gone to Christmas services, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the faithful while singing songs of joy and peace.  But nature has been my church for many years; she offers solitude and tranquility without reference to a loving but vindictive deity.