Friday, July 24, 2026

The Patience of Patients

Long a physician and now a patient, I have witnessed the American healthcare system from both sides of the proverbial fence.  And having spent a good deal of time in waiting rooms, I have noticed an association between one's patience and the apparent chronicity of their illness.

As one might expect, those with acute problems tend to be in more distress and are clearly more demanding at times; no doubt, personalities play a significant role as well.  On the other hand, those who have become accustomed to the waiting room experience are far more patient and, to be honest, kind.  Having learned that healthcare, by its nature, is not always predictable and efficient, they learn to take the setbacks in stride.  Of course, they often arrive prepared for significant delays, possessing novels, headphones and other forms of diversion.

Indeed, it is easy to pick out the veterans of our health care system and one comes to appreciate the calming effect that they have on others.  I will strive to join their ranks.