Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Concerned at Forum Nature Area

Forum Nature Area stretches along the floodplain of Hinkson Creek in Columbia, Missouri.  A patchwork of woodlands, wetlands, prairie and a seasonal lake, the refuge is accessed by a double trail loop and has always been an excellent area for birdwatching.

So, on this sunny, mild morning in Columbia, I took a leisurely walk along the 1.5 mile circuit, attentive to the sight and sounds of bird life; unfortunately, my visit was a bit disappointing.  During my one hour visit, I saw only 11 species and at least a third of my sightings were of northern cardinals.

Veteran birders know that, on any given day and despite the weather conditions, a bird count may vary widely.  Perhaps it is due to my aging eyes and ears, but the low count days seem to be increasing.  My concern, of course, is that the effects of our poor stewardship of planet Earth are becoming ever more apparent, even at a modest sized nature preserve in a small, progressive-minded Midwestern city.