Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Birding & Moose Hunting

I do not often go birding at mid day but, on this cool, cloudy afternoon in central Missouri, it seemed like a good idea.  After all, one of the best birding destinations in the Midwest is close by.

My visit to Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area, on the Missouri River floodplain, was a pleasant one; unfortunately, the birding was not so great.  There were lots of turkey vultures and red-winged blackbirds, one flock of Canada geese (wow!), a lone bald eagle, a dozen or so great blue herons and a handful of pied-billed grebes.  That was about all I saw from my Beetle.

During my visit, a relative came to mind.  He enjoys moose hunting and travels to beautiful, wild areas in pursuit of his quarry; though he relishes the great outdoors, he has not, to my knowledge, ever encountered a moose!  Birding can be like that; it is best to enjoy the hunt and the landscape, knowing that your expectations may not be met.