Friday, May 27, 2022

The Monitored Life

In this Age of Technology, we are offered a wide variety of wearables and gadgets that are designed to keep us healthy.  While some are clearly valuable (automated blood pressure cuffs and glucose monitoring pods for diabetics are examples), one wonders at what point health data awareness leads to compulsion and anxiety.

Perhaps I am an exception but I seem to know when I have engaged in too little or too much exercise and when I have consumed too much junk food.  Neither do I need a high tech bed to know if I got a good night's sleep.  Not a fan of number games, I do not monitor my steps or count my calories.  While the monitoring tools may make some individuals more aware of their behavior, they are generally purchased by those who least need that assistance (i.e. those who already adhere to a healthy lifestyle).

Finally, to my knowledge, there are no wearables that monitor your time away from your television, your time listening to music, your periods of solitude or your time immersed in natural ecosystems.  In my experience, those are among the most healthy practices that one can undertake.