Thursday, May 18, 2023

Listening to Karen

This morning, while enjoying a walk in the bright, Colorado sunshine, I heard a song by The Carpenters.  As always, it took me back to my early twenties, a wonderful period of my life.

However, their music also reminds me that Karen and I were born in the same year and that she died forty years ago.  Her tragic death was mourned across the globe but she lives on through beautiful songs that still ring true; it is a reminder that exceptional talent and creativity often bestow immortality.

Of course, her voice leads many of us to reflect on how fortunate we have been.  To have lived a long life, to have watched our children become adults and to have met our grandchildren are gifts that some never receive.  My thanks to Karen for enriching my life.