Monday, August 21, 2023

Field Bindweed

In my opinion, the word "weed" is just a disparaging term for wildflowers that we don't want in our yards or on our farms.  On the other hand, some seem to deserve that designation.

Field bindweed is just such a wildflower.  Accidentally introduced from Eurasia, this perennial vine favors disturbed soil in sun exposed areas along roads, streams and fence lines.  Though it produces attractive white or pink flowers (see photo), it often smothers other plants and crops.  Bindweed spreads from an extensive root system as well as by seed; furthermore, the seeds tolerate prolonged dormancy (perhaps up to 50 years).  On the positive side, the flowers (which bloom from mid spring to mid autumn) attract a variety of small bees.

Field bindweed is certainly among my least favorite wildflowers and I suspect others agree.  Since I do not use herbicides on our properties, the only ecologic control measure is frequent, manual removal; I have read that sheep and goats find it tasty but we are not currently in the livestock business.  One must admire this plant's tenacity and, as long as it is not smothering our shrubs, I respect its right to flourish.