Sunday, October 29, 2023

Humans and our Vehicles

Many humans are emotionally attached to their car or truck, some of us more so than others.  In my experience, those who own sports cars or pickup trucks are especially vulnerable to this relationship.

For the first time in several years, I have brought my pickup back from our Colorado farm where it has languished in the driveway, enduring the intense summer sun, severe winter cold and heavy snowstorms during most seasons.  Since it was "born" in 2003 and has travelled more than 260,000 miles, I had decided that I should not tempt fate by driving it between Colorado and Missouri.  Not having it for snowy weather and concerned that, like humans, it would deteriorate more quickly without activity, I changed my mind.  Of course, I also missed having it available for a variety of chores..

To be even more honest, I feel younger when I'm driving my pickup, despite the fact that I bought it as a used vehicle when I was already in my mid-fifties.  But, at this point, I need all the youthful sentiments I can muster.