As I discussed in A Skink Mystery, last September, our resident five-lined skinks, which were of usual abundance in the spring, disappeared throughout the summer. In fact, they failed to emerge in the autumn as well and I came to the conclusion that a local die-off had occurred.
Very common on our Columbia property since we moved here in 1997, they would scurry across the deck and walkways or hang out at the compost bin to feast on a variety of invertebrates. This spring and early summer passed without any sightings (though I am often out of town). Then, about 10:30 this morning, as I lounged on our front porch, a young skink, sporting its bright blue tail, raced across the bricks. He/she was the first I have seen here since the spring of 2025.
I have no explanation for this confusing saga but was glad to witness an apparent recovery. Nature keeps us guessing.