Monday, August 28, 2023

Evenings on the Deck

Each evening, I spend an hour or so on our back deck in Missouri or patio in Colorado.  While I sometimes have music in the background, I primarily listen to nature: birds, squirrels, insects and wind-induced sounds.  This evening, a barred owl is hooting in the distance.

While it does not strictly qualify as meditation, this habit does offer tranquility and mental relaxation.  It is also a welcome break from the stress imposed by news and the various duties of life.  Perhaps this was more valuable during my years of medical practice but I find it just as rewarding in retirement.

Whether we admit it or not, we all need periods of solitude, a chance to let our minds wander.  Nature is good company; she is neither interested in our thoughts nor demanding of our attention.