Friday, August 18, 2023

Two Days of Truth

During parenthood, most of us engage in a variety of activities with our children, including sports and outdoor adventures such as hiking.  This bonding gives us a chance to introduce them to new experiences, learn more about their interests and get some beneficial exercise ourselves.

Now in my early seventies, I have been hosting my seven-year-old grandson for the past two days.  Though the experience has been similar and equally enjoyable, I have been forced to acknowledge limitations that did not exist during my parenting years.  Despite efforts to eat well and remain active, age takes its toll on all of us and  spending time with a high-energy youngster only amplifies that message.

To have lived long enough to watch my grandkids mature has surely been a gift but it comes with a healthy dose of reality.  Keeping up with them at this age is a challenge that often requires negotiation.