Wednesday, June 29, 2022

A Night on the Plains

No, I will not be sleeping in a covered wagon, rocked by gusty prairie winds.  Neither will I be lying near a campfire, listening to coyotes and enjoying the fabulous bowl of stars overhead.  In fact, I will be in a hotel, with all its modern conveniences.

Nevertheless, one can easily feel exposed on the vast, flat landscape of the Great Plains.  Unobstructed by ridges or trees, the omnipresent wind creates a blast furnace effect in summer and life-threatening wind chill in winter.  Massive thunderstorms, visible for hundreds of miles, threaten from the horizon and rivers tend to be either raging or dry.  It is a beautiful but challenging environment, far from the countless amenities offered in large, modern cities.

No doubt, I'll survive my night in the hotel.  After a free breakfast in the morning, I'll "saddle up" and head for home.  Fortunately, we have satellite radio to ease the journey.