Friday, June 10, 2022

Me and the Metaverse

Anyone who pays even fleeting attention to the modern tech world has heard about the Metaverse.  Nevertheless, though it is the new focus of Facebook (now known as Meta Platforms), no one seems capable of describing the Metaverse in any detail.  As a non-techie, I imagine it to be a digital universe in which humans participate via their cyber images.

Now in my seventies, I will likely miss out on the Metaverse but I am not the least bit disappointed.  Not keen on social media or computer games,  I am far more interested in the real Universe, however poorly we understand its history and ongoing evolution.  While the laws of physics will control the Metaverse as well, I am more fascinated by their role in the physical Universe, including their interaction with chemical and biologic processes.

No doubt, modern technology has been vital to our understanding of the physical Universe but I doubt the Metaverse will contribute to that knowledge.  I'll never know for sure but I'm glad I lived during an era when scientists focused on reality, not virtual reality.  

See also:  Give Me Reality