Friday, March 3, 2023

Waxing Nostalgic

Yesterday afternoon, a large flock of cedar waxwings turned up on our Littleton farm.  After feeding in a line of junipers, they gathered in a large elm where I was able to easily count them (42 as it turned out).

While rather common, cedar waxwings are nomadic when not nesting and often move about in sizable flocks.  Nevertheless, non-birders are likely unaware of their existence since they are rather quiet and unobtrusive birds (see Polite Visitors).

Checking my original field guide, I found that I saw my first cedar waxwing in Kent, Ohio, in October of 1976.  I still remember the experience since it was one of the most exotic birds that I discovered during my first year of birding.  On the other hand, I was 26 years old, documenting the fact that I had walked the planet for more than two decades without knowingly encountering a waxwing.  Clearly, we cannot appreciate the diversity of nature unless we make the effort to explore her ecosystems.