Saturday, September 5, 2020

Treefrog on the Dryer

Before I came down for breakfast this morning, my wife called up to report that there was a frog on the dryer.  While we are getting older, her cognitive function has seemed to be intact (though not as excellent as our Dear Leader's) so I accepted the fact that her assessment was reliable.  Upon reaching the utility room, I did, indeed, find a small green treefrog resting comfortably on the metal surface of the dryer in our Sandy Lake cottage.

Fortunately, I was able to grab the wayward amphibian before he hopped into less-accessible recesses of the small space and carried him outdoors, his moist skin and squirming body almost disrupting my effort.  After a bit of research, I concluded that our visitor was a young eastern gray treefrog, common in this part of Ohio.  How he ended up in the utility room remains a mystery.

Hoping to enjoy the many wild neighbors that share our local environment, we must go outdoors or at least look out the windows.  On occasion, they choose to explore our habitat!