Monday, February 14, 2022

Generational Gratitude

Looking back at my life, I have much to be grateful for.  Leading that list is the fact that I am a member of the "Baby Boom" Generation.

As a result, my formative years (high school and college) occurred during the late 1960s and early 1970s, a period characterized by anti-war protests, civil rights demonstrations and a global awakening regarding our expanding environmental crises (the first Earth Day was in 1970).  All of these social movements had a profound impact on my personal views of human nature, social justice and the interdependence of all life on Planet Earth.

Indeed, most of my life choices have been guided by these ingrained philosophical convictions, causing me to reject mysticism, racism, excessive consumption, militarism and careless human "development."  While I have tried to instill this naturalist philosophy in my children and grandchildren, I realize that they have not benefited from the profound, formative experiences of my own generation.