Saturday, December 3, 2022

Soccer Memories

Watching the World Cup this morning, I was taken back to my years as a soccer coach.  My players were pre-teen girls.

Nevertheless, the strategies of the match were basically the same and the assembled fans were no less intense.  Though I had not played in my youth, the simplicity of soccer allowed me to coach without much preparation and the parents appreciated my efforts (win or lose).

While I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was pleased with the enthusiasm of my players, I could not help but notice the family dynamics that always characterize youth sports.  The behavior of each player was a clear reflection of their parental influence, some requiring a good deal of attention while others performed with a stoic intensity of purpose.  Even today, I suspect those traits are still evident.