Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Looking for Short-Eared Owls

On this mild November day in central Missouri, I decided to look for short-eared owls on the farmlands east of Columbia.  Unlike most owls, they are often active during the day (especially at dawn and dusk).

Indeed, these winter residents of Missouri are often seen perched on a fence post, waiting to cruise low above grasslands or crop stubble in search of rodents; they might also be found on floodplains or coastal wetlands.  Of course, those hoping to observe them must head for appropriate habitat, as I did today.

On similar excursions in the past, my success rate is well below 50%.  I am far more likely to encounter hawks, kestrels, geese and other open country species but the effort is always worthwhile.  Today proved to be another failed mission but I have at least four more months to achieve success; avid birders are persistent, if nothing else.