Sunday, November 5, 2023

Window Birding

Despite what the title might imply, this post is not about birding from a picture window (though that can be both enjoyable and productive).  Rather, it relates my excursion to Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area during the afternoon "birding window" when the hunters lay down their weapons and birders search for avian residents and visitors that were not killed or scared off by the shooting.

Since my middle grandson came along, my visit easily fit within the official window and I focused on nearby, easy to identify species.  American coot, pied-billed grebes, a belted kingfisher, northern shovelers and a northern harrier, all new to him, were the afternoon highlights.

I will retry the window birding later in the week but the time of day and the regional carnage will likely suppress bird activity throughout the hunting season.  Indeed, I might observe more species from our family room window.