Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Returning to my Youth

For the first time since moving to Columbia, I attended a University of Missouri swim meet this morning; it was part of a three-day Men & Women's Invitational.  Of course, the experience took me back to my own days as a competitive swimmer.

It was refreshing to be enveloped by the humid, chlorine-scented air once again and it was good to see such a large congregation of fit, enthusiastic young adults.  They are certainly larger, stronger and much faster than we were back in the Sixties; they are also adorned with many more tattoos!

I would be remiss not to mention the significant number of black competitors.  During my youth, we heard that blacks cannot be competitive swimmers; something to do with heavy bones.  Today, we know it had nothing to do with anatomy; it was all about a lack of opportunity.

See also:  Thoughts on Competitive Swimming