Friday, January 20, 2023

A Modest Gathering

On my first chance to survey our Littleton farm since returning, I was not greeted by many of our resident wildlife.  While I have seen her tracks in the snow, the red fox did not make an appearance though several fox squirrels were in attendance.

The birds were not terribly excited to see me either.  A few common winter songbirds twittered from the trees and shrubs and a pair of norther flickers were kind enough to deliver their piercing calls.  A special welcome was provided by our lone Townsend's solitaire that has wintered on the property for many years.  Finally, our most reliable winter visitors, Canada geese, made several flyovers (perhaps in my honor).

Though the party was small, I was glad to be back in Colorado with my old friends.  The farm is especially inviting beneath a thick coat of snow and the cold air is more invigorating than bothersome at this altitude.  My visit will be relatively brief but I hope to see more of our wild residents before I leave; of course, any unusual sightings will be faithfully reported.