Tuesday, January 3, 2023

On Natural Landscapes

In yesterday's post, I opined on my preference for a climate of seasons, however erratic and ill-defined they might be. Today, on the second half of our journey back to the Heartland, I was encouraged to relate my preference for varied terrain over the beautiful yet flat expanse of the Coastal Plain.

Crossing mountains, river valleys, dissected plateaus and rolling farmlands, all products of geology, tectonics, climate and erosive forces, I acknowledged my attraction to mixed landscapes where factors such as elevation, soil quality and sun exposure produce a complex array of micro-habitats.  While the varied topography is pleasing to the eye, it also reflects a rich diversity of ecosystems.

Most readers of this blog would likely define me as a birder and a naturalist philosopher.  Though this assessment is clearly true, my primary interest is in natural landscapes, the platform on which all terrestrial ecosystems have evolved.  Understanding their formation and protecting their integrity have long been personal goals.