Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Greeted with a Warning

As I approached Denver yesterday afternoon, highway signs flashed a warning that a winter storm would arrive by evening; preparations were recommended.  Knowing that my 2003 Tacoma pickup awaited my return to our Littleton farm, I was unfazed by the warning.

Just the last storm to ravage California, it dropped heavy snow on Northern Arizona and had moved into southwest Colorado as I reached the Front Range urban corridor.  Crossing the Continental Divide, the storm did reach Metro Denver by late in the evening and left 6-8 inches of snow across the city by this morning.

While it has had a modest impact on Front Range communities, the storm will bring heavy snow to the Northern Plains, especially across central Nebraska.  Having brought welcome precipitation to the drought-plagued Four Corners region, it is now recharging the dry watershed of the Upper Missouri River.