Monday, February 27, 2023

Elk Country Sprawl

Needing to run my pickup, which had been idle for the past six weeks, I decided to make a loop south of Metro Denver, crossing the pine-studded ridge between Denver and Castle Rock en route.  To my dismay, I found that much of that scenic ridge has fallen victim to suburban sprawl.

Once a beautiful remnant of the foothill ecosystem that attracts wintering herds of elk, a sizable portion of the ridge has been cleared, making room for closely packed homes, condos and apartments.  The "watch for elk" signs are still there but I suspect those majestic herbivores will find more suitable habitat (while it lasts).

Decades ago, we used to joke that Denver, Castle Rock and Colorado Springs would eventually be one continuous Metroplex.  Despite the challenges imposed by global warming and water scarcity, that forecast is becoming a reality.