Sunday, February 26, 2023

Driving through My Teens

As I continued westward across the snowy Plains under bright sunshine and a deep blue sky, I heard on Sirius Radio that its Sixties Gold station was about to play the Top 50 Soul and Motown songs of that decade, in honor of Black History Month.  Naturally, I tuned in and was soon back in my teens.

A music person, I enjoy listening to a wide variety of genres but have noticed that Motown hits induce dance fever more than most.  So, for the next two hours, I tried to indulge that response, a difficult task while driving a VW Beetle on the Interstate.

On a more serious note,  the show reminded listeners that, even during the tumultuous decade of the Sixties, black songwriters, producers and performers dominated the American music scene (at least until the British Invasion took hold).