Saturday, February 25, 2023

Escaping the Storm

The latest Pacific storm, lashing Southern California with high winds, heavy rain and mountain snow, is expected to move across the Four Corners region tonight and then track northeastward across the Great Plains.  Strong thunderstorms are forecast to develop from Kansas to northern Texas by late tomorrow afternoon.

Since I am spending the night in Hays, Kansas, on my way to our Littleton, Colorado, farm, I intend to get out of town early in the morning.  Indeed, warm, humid air is already streaming northward across the Plains, pushing afternoon highs into the mid 50s F.  Even warmer air will arrive tomorrow, fueling thunderstorms ahead of the cold front.

As with the last storm system, a northerly track will bring snow and ice to the Northern Plains and Great Lakes Region.  The remainder of my journey to Denver should be uneventful but I won't wait around for the thunderstorms to bloom.